How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our tax home is in Colorado. My wife accepted a good healthcare

This answer was rated:

Our tax home is in Colorado. My wife accepted a good healthcare job in Virginia. She is a full-time employee of a hospital, and expects to be there for two years. Her job began January 2, 2013. Are her apartment rent and utilities tax deductible as a cost of employment? She is a PICU manager.

Arthur Rubin :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Arthur Rubin :

I'm afraid your wife's tax home is now in Virginia, so that her expenses there are not deductible.

Arthur Rubin :

Unless her job was expected to last less than 1-2 years (for different definitions of "tax home"), her tax home is at her new job. Your tax home might still be in Colorado if you have a job there.

Arthur Rubin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you