How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CFEPro789 Your Own Question
CFEPro789, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 543
Experience:  Former IRS Agent, Master of Accountancy, Tax Return Preparer
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CFEPro789 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I work from home doing freelance typing - I have been doing

This answer was rated:

Hi, I work from home doing freelance typing - I have been doing this for about three years now. I work mainly part time - so my ernings are not that much at the end of the financial year.

I haven't done a tax return since starting in 2010, and I really want to get my taxes paid and in order - as so not to be illegal etc.

However - my husband doesn't pay tax - he is a self employed stonemason and is currently seeking an accountant to get his stuff sorted out.

What I want to know is - can I do my tax without involving my husband? I don't want to get him in trouble, but at the same time I want to get mine done. Do they need to know all his details etc when I go to see an accountant?


jgdarragh2285 :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today with your tax question. You can absolutely do your taxes without involving your husband. You can file married filing separately, you need to list your husbands name and Social Security Number on the tax return, but nothing about his income and it is not going to trigger any inquiry into your husband whatsoever. What you need to do is get together all of your documentation for all income and any expenses you incurred for 2010, 2011, 2012 and then you can prepare your 1040 Income Tax Return using schedule C for your income tax and schedule SE for your self employment tax (social security and medicare).

jgdarragh2285 :

You should do this as soon as possible as the longer you wait the higher any penalties will be. But your return will not affect your husband at all and will not get him in trouble.


Thank you so much - I've been putting this off as this was my main worry. I'll get onto it soon now. Thanks once again - this has been worrying me constantly!

CFEPro789 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Hi I just wanted to let you know that the tax return and the schedules I referred to were referenced to US forms by mistake, so you can ignore the form and schedule numbers that you need to complete. It is a NAT2541 you are going to have to complete, not 1040. However regarding the filing you can still do it married separately and it will not effect your husband. In Australia there is no such thing as a joint tax return, therefore you are still taxed separately from your husband and your filing will not harm him. Good luck to you!