How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29577
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been buying a house on land contract and never got a

This answer was rated:

I have been buying a house on land contract and never got a 99 for the intrest in the last five years can I make them give them to me

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
If you pay a mortgage interest to a private person - you would not be sent form 1098. That form is sent by banks and financial companies - but not private persons.
Still you may deduct the mortgage interest on schedule A.

Lev :

Deductions is claimed on line 11 -
and you would need to provide the name, address and SSN of that seller to whom you may the mortgage.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
The IRS will verify if that interest is reported as income by the seller - so to avoid confusions - you might want to verify the amount of the interest - and confirm that you as a buyer and the seller are using the same amount.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.