Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

my restaurant received IRS letter regarding my business is

underreporting the gross receipt, what...
my restaurant received IRS letter regarding my business is underreporting the gross receipt, what should i do?
11/1/2013
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

PDtax :

Welcome to the site. I'm PDtax, and was prompted to assist by the site.

PDtax :

This is a new program started by IRS late last year for taxpayers who receive 1099-K from their credit card and bank transaction processors.

PDtax :

IRS uses four form letters for these inquiries, suggesting remedies for repairing the discrepancy.

PDtax :

You can review your records, including a review of the gross sales line on the business tax return you filed, and compare that amount to the 1099-K you received. That is likely the reason for the letter.

PDtax :

Once you review your records, you can verify the correctness of the return you filed. If it is correct, a reconciliation comparing the amount IRS expected with the amount reported will likely satisfy IRS.

PDtax :

If instead there may be additional receipts to report, I suggest a review with your tax professional who prepared the return, and review your options.

PDtax :

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. I will be glad to address any follow up you may have. If this covers things, positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax
PDtax