Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Topic: Importation customs duty in USA We are a LLC company

Topic: Importation customs duty in...
Topic: Importation customs duty in USA
We are a LLC company established in Delaware, USA. We plan to import 2 products to USA, is there any customs duty when we import goods to USA from China? If yes, what is the customs duty (%) for:
a. Wifi device: it's an electroic products, which plays music via wifi after plugging to speakers.
b. smart watch: it's an electronis products, the function is the same as smart phone but wearing as a watch.
Besides the customs duty, is there any tax needed to be paid during importation?
11/1/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
Customs Duty is a tariff or tax imposed on goods when transported across international borders.

The Customs Duty Rate is a percentage. This percentage is determined by the total purchased value of the article(s) paid at a foreign country and not based on factors such as quality, size, or weight. The Harmonized Tariff System (HTS) provides duty rates for virtually every existing item. CBP uses the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States Annotated (HTSUS), which is a reference manual that the provides the applicable tariff rates and statistical categories for all merchandise imported into the U.S.
The Harmonized Tariff Schedule may be found here - http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1301htsa.pdf

Lev :

As you see - Customs Duty is based on classification.
Based on your explanation - Electronics Components is duty free,
however - there will be co-called Merchandise Processing Fee ~$35 when custom declaration is filed.
Because the Harmonized Tariff Schedule is a very large publication - you might want to use this online version - http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor