Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband recently got his check. His gross income was about

Customer Question
My husband recently got his...
My husband recently got his check. His gross income was about $2900, and taxes altogether took about $800. Does this sound normal for a married man? We also pay $74 extra taxes in withholdings.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
10/31/2013
Tax Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 years ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

By my calculations, your taxes with the $74 extra withheld should be around $828 for federal and state taxes

Megan C :

This is filing married

Doing well.
Thanks...can you see my message? I calculated about $828 for taxes.

If you would please let me know if you need additional information. If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today...

Thanks!

Megan
So you're saying it looks right?
Yes, that;s what I'm saying. It looks right to me...

Please let me know if you need anything else. If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today
OK. Got the details

Gross income was $2,765

CA Disability Employee
$27.65

CA State Income Tax
$147.10

Employee Medicare
$40.09

Federal Income Tax
$399.69

Social Security Employee Tax
$171.43

Additional Federal Income Tax
$74.00

Does something seem wrong to you?
Thank you for your follow up. No, nothing seems wrong to me in this. It seems correct based on a quick calculation.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.
What about the $74 additional federal income tax. WHat is the purpose of that?
That would be something that you elected. It is not decided by your employer. If you no longer want that withheld, then file an amended W-4 form.

Thanks! Let me know if you need anything additional.
But for my information, what would happen if we didn't withold the $74?
At the end of the year, you would have less income tax withheld from your paycheck and therefore would have a smaller tax refund check.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know if you need further assistance.

Please don't forget to rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.