Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I regularly use both my personal cell phone and laptop to work

from home. It was recently...
I regularly use both my personal cell phone and laptop to work from home. It was recently suggested to me that I can write the expences for both of these itmes off on my taxes, is this so? And if so, what form do i need to file?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/29/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
Yes - that is correct - you need to prorate your expenses as business related and personal - and may deduct a portion related to the business use.

Customer:

Ah, and what form do these expences get tracked on?

Lev :

Generally, you report unreimbursed expenses on IRS Form 2106 or IRS Form 2106-EZ and attach it to Form 1040. Deductible expenses are then reported on IRS Schedule A, as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to a rule that limits your employee business expenses deduction to the amount that exceeds 2 percent of your adjusted gross income.

Customer:

I see, so i would have to file these expences under the itemized deduciton section? and I can only take the standard deduction OR the itemized deducitons, correct?

Lev :

Yes - that is correct. Generally we choose to itemize if that is more beneficial compare with standard deduction.

Customer:

I'm not sure my itemized deductions would amount to that much in comparrison to the standard deduction, I can only write off a portion of the cost of the phone and laptop equivalent to what i use them for in relation to working from home correct?

Lev :

If your itemized deduction is not as much - you might better to opt for the standard deduction - and that assumed as included all possible deductible expenses - so you do not need to account for these expenses separately.
If you opt to use the standard deduction - there is no place to deduct employee business expenses.
The situation is different if you run your own business - in this case all qualified expenses are deducted.

Customer:

Ah, well thanks for clarrifying that then, I'll hit you back up if I need anythign else. :)

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor