Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

can a person authorize a cpa or a tax attorney to get there

can a person authorize a cpa or a tax attorney to get there tax imformation for them if they were having trouble getting it for the purpose of filing federal state or local taxes this question is for future use just in case I had a problem

Lane :

Lane :

Yes, you can ... mist attorneys and CPA will have a limited power of attorney form that will allow them to represent you in many ways. Most will have a template that can be used ton limit their authority to exactly what you need .....

Lane :

And for representing you before the IRS?

Lane :

You would use this form Form 2848

Lane :

Here's what IRS says regarding form 2848:

Lane :
Like Print

Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative

Use Form 2848 to authorize an individual to represent you before the IRS. The individual you authorize must be a person eligible to practice before the IRS. You may authorize a student who works in a qualified Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) or Student Tax Clinic Program (STCP) to represent you under a special order issued by the Office of Professional Responsibility. Your authorization of a qualifying representative will also allow that individual to receive and inspect your confidential tax information.

Lane :

Questions?

Lane :

If you need furthr clarification or want to discuss ... I'll be right here

Lane :

Lane

Lane :

I still don't see you coming into the chat session, so I'll move us to the "Q&A" mode. … Maybe that will help … (We can still continue a dialogue there, just not in real-time chat, as we can here)

Lane :

Let me know if you need anything else at all on this ...

Lane :

Lane

Hi Carl,

… just checking back in here, as I never saw you come into the chat.

The answer, is yes .. and if you're having trouble GETTING a response from someone, in my experience, the attorneys get a better response rate.

Lane
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

in other words they can get my tax info for me

Yes Carl, they can.

You'll just have to sign a document allowing them to do so, called a limited power of attorney.

Hope this has helped.

Lane