Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

in 2009 I with my spouse lived in our own house in Houston.

in 2009 I...
in 2009 I with my spouse lived in our own house in Houston. She did not work and the entire annual household income consisted only of my salary and benefits. My spouse usually prepare papers for the tax returns. Unexpectedly, I have a notice from IRS requiring from me to file 2009 tax return as a separate married spouse . How can I account for expenses associated with support of my wife, who (according to IRS) filed separately?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/28/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you tonight?

Megan C :

Could you please clarify what you mean by accounting for the expense associated with the support of your wife?

Customer:

In 2009 she did not work and all expenses for her, our house, utilities etc. were covered by my salary and Social Security pension. Now the IRS requires that I have to file 2009 tax return as a separate married individual, and IRS sent me my 2009 transcript with all income I received without accounting how much I spent to support my NON-WORKING WIFE

Megan C :

I understand. Do you know if your wife took the standard deduction, or itemized?

Megan C :

If she took the standard deduction, you would not be able to deduct any expenses for your home, medical, etc. If you file separate you both must take the standard deduction or you both must itemize. One cannot take the itemized deductions while the other takes the standard

Customer:

Dear Megan, I think this is kind of revenge. I assure you that all our neibours, friends and relatives in Houston and New York know that she lived on my money. Frankly, I don't care, the problem is how to include these expenses in my 2009 tax return which is prepared currently by CPA.

Megan C :

Well, your utilities etc are not deductible. Only certain expenses are...such as your home mortgage interest, real estate taxes, medical expenses, etc

Megan C :

However, what I am saying is that you can't even deduct those if she used the standard deduction.

Megan C :

If she took the standard deduction, there are no expenses to account for. You will owe tax on your full income, with the standard deduction taken out

Customer:

Dear Megan, if she did not work in 2009 - from where she made her deductions - not from the pension (she is too young), she did not have any W2 or W1099 - it may be a fraud!!!

Megan C :

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be fraud since you were married. I suspect she took the standard deduction since she did not have any income. You need to find out if she took the standard deduction or itemized, before you can proceed further because it will determine what you can deduct. However, it's not fraud if she filed a tax return with no income and took the standard deduction.

Customer:

Dear Megan, thank you very much for my questions. The only request I have - can you e-mail me a table showing how much I have to pay if my taxable income will be lower than $ 30,000. Currently I am 78 years old, disable and live on pension of $1,700 a month.

Megan C :

Is your income from a regular pension or is it from social security?

Customer:

I have been working as a contractor with ExxonMobil, NASA and ACS companies for more that 25 years and am getting standard work pension.

Megan C :

OK. Let me do some calculations

Megan C :

You will owe around $2,300 for taxes, on married filing separately with $30,000 of income

Customer:

Dear Megan I am very thankful to you!!!

Megan C :

I'm glad I could help. Is there anything else you need assistance with?

Megan C :

If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you todya

Megan C :

today

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a tax question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

Dear Megan, thank you very much for your answer concerning 2009 tax return. There is another small question. You told me that because my spouse filed 2009 tax return separately, though she did not work and was my dependent, I will be responsible to file for the entire income and as such I will have to pay IRS about $2300. I live currently only on my pension and cannot physically pay the whole sum of 2009 tax return, What are the ways to relieve me from paying immediately and what might be the minimum monthly pay? Thanks in advance, Yuri

Yuri,

The IRS will accept a payment plan. What you do is fill out an application for an installment agreement and tell them what you can pay. If it's reasonable they will set your payments up for that amount. I couldn't tell you what the minimum payment would be.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.