Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

Hi My brother and his partner own a house together. My brother

Hi
My brother and his partner own a house together. My brother took the deduction on his return for the mortgage interest and real estate taxes. The mortgage statement has his partners name and social security number listed first. My brother makes the payments
from a joint account. His partner does not claim the mortgage interest or real estate taxes.
The IRS sent him a letter. Should we just send back a copy of the mortgage statement his name is XXXXX XXXXX and a letter explaining he pays the mortgage payment?

Stephen G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX & I'll be helping you today. My goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer that you can understand.

Stephen G. :

Presumably, your brother is also on the deed & the mortgage also. As such he is fully liable for the mortgage as is his partner. (As an aside, if this is going to be the same situation in the future your brother should have his social security number listed on the mortgage).

Stephen G. :

You can try to do what you suggest but the IRS may ask for further evidence such as copies of the checks with your brother's signature on them, if he pays by check, although that shouldn't be necessary; you might consider sending a copy of one cancelled check (copy both sides) & state that the remainder are available upon request.

Stephen G. :

In any event, it should eventually be straightened out; it just takes time. By the way, did the IRS ask for anything else specifically? If they did, you'll want to comply with the request in order to avoid additional correspondence.

Stephen G. :

Did you prepare their return, or what role are you playing in this process? The reason that I ask is that you'll want to make sure your brother signs any correspondence with the IRS.

Stephen G. :

If you want to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Thanks again for using us for your tax and financial questions. You may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble I would appreciate it if you would answer it; the survey results are used to rate our performance;

Stephen G. :

Please remember to rate my response; it is the only way that we get credit for our work.