How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29800
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I live in NJ and work in PA, which state taxes should be

This answer was rated:

If I live in NJ and work in PA, which state taxes should be withheld?

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
Under the State of New Jersey and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Reciprocal Personal Income Tax Agreement - you are responsible for income taxes ONLY to NJ based on your residency.
if you are a New Jersey resident and Pennsylvania income tax was withheld from wages you earned there, you must file a Pennsylvania return to obtain a refund. To stop the withholding of Pennsylvania income tax, New Jersey residents who receive compensation from Pennsylvania must complete Form REV-419, Employee’s Nonwithholding Application Certificate, and give it to their employer.
Because of the reciprocal agreement, you pay taxes to your state of residency.

Lev :

This agreement covers compensation only. Compensation means salaries, wages, tips, fees, commissions, bonuses, and other remuneration received for services rendered as an employee.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you