How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if I havent filed taxes in years and want to file now how

This answer was rated:

if I haven't filed taxes in years and want to file now how should I start. how many years will irs go back and how long will they give me

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.


You should begin by determining when was the last time you filed a return.Then sort your records by year so the tax returns can be prepared.The IRS can go back 7 years. You, on the other hand, will be obligated for any tax due during those same 7 years but will only be eligible to receive refunds for the most recent 3 years.


Software is available to prepare the back returns from companies such as TurboTax and Tax Act. The software from each offers a Q&A approach which makes some returns quite simple. You will not be able to file electronically.

CGCPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you