Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a Maltese resident working on a 35 days on 35 days off

in dili east Timor it...
I am a Maltese resident working on a 35 days on 35 days off in dili east Timor it take me another week travelling roughly it works out am on 6 week on 4 weeks off five trips a year 210 days out of Malta would I be liable for tax and if yes still with 15% no matter what the annual income is.

I don't get paid for those days that I stay home and am married as well

Many thanks

Joe.Z
10/23/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
Individuals normally resident in Malta are taxed on their worldwide income.
You are still resident in Malta even if you are working outside Malta. In general, individuals are considered to be resident in Malta if they spend more than 183 days in a calendar year in Malta. Individuals are considered ordinarily resident if Malta is their habitual place of residence.

Robin D. :

Permanent residents are taxed at a rate of 15% on all income received or remitted to Malta, whether from foreign or Maltese source.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Customer:

So Can I be securely open with you

Robin D. :

Not sure what you mean but if you want to follow up with a question about your tax liabiltiy please go ahead.

Customer:

if I earn 75,000 euros yearly how much tax and national insurance I will have to pay in total

Customer:

and I total I spend 155 days in may am I liable for tax

Robin D. :

Yes you are liable for tax if you are domiciled in Malta and have been a resident in Malta prior to the position that takes you outside Malta at present.

Robin D. :

The 183 days is to assist in determining residency but if you were resident prior to accepting this position and your home is in Malta (along with yoru family) then you are resident in Malta and will pay the 15% tax.

Customer:

Robin D. :

You would pay 10% for NI and 15% for tax

Customer:

OK Many thanks last question what about National insurance ?

Robin D. :

10% for National Insurance

Customer:

Thanks you where more than help

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

how can I pay less or declare less than I earn is there a way to deposit an money prior the wages are deposited to an other bank

Even if your wages are not brought into Malta as a resident you would still be taxed. Of course if you are taxed in other country then you would receive a credit but as far as not declaring the income that is not advised.

What if I moved to Australia. Can you please tell me about the tax laws regarding the JPDA where I work and Australia. I believe they have a 90% / 10% relationship between Australia and Timor?

The treaty is an agreement between Australia and Timor-Leste (formerly East Timor) which creates the JPDA. It provides the framework for how the petroleum resources within the JPDA are to be shared. The treaty grants 90% of the petroleum resources to Timor-Leste and 10% to Australia.
So 10% of the income earned is taxed to Australia.
According to the ATO (Australia Tax Office):
Australian residents are taxed on their total JPDA income at resident rates of tax, with a foreign income tax offset allowed for the lesser of the
Australian tax payable on the net assessable JPDA income*, and
tax paid to Timor-Leste

We have deviated from the original Malta question now so Just Answer would require that you post a new question per the user agreement.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4