How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have custody of child near 100% of time. Ex pays about 1k

This answer was rated:

I have custody of child near 100% of time. Ex pays about 1k in child support a month. He pays for baby's health insurance as well. I cover all costs and childcare.
Who can claim the child as a dependent? I understand I can claim the EIC. although I am not sure what the difference between the two are.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

If you have the child over 50% of the time, then you are the one who gets the deduction and tax credit for the child

Customer: Ok. So there is not even a fight then since the child lives with me full time.
Megan C :

No, there should not even be a fight.

Megan C :

There's only a fight when you share the child 50% of the time.

Customer: Thank you
Megan C :

You're welcome. Is there anything else you need assistance with?

Megan C and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks for you positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today. Thanks