How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Megan; I have a taxpayer that filed as HOH for the years

This answer was rated:

Hi Megan; I have a taxpayer that filed as HOH for the years 2006-2008 because while legally married, she did not always know the whereabouts of her husband. Her husband did not file at all for those years and the IRS has contacted him. In your opinion, do I have to amend the original return to incorporate the husbands income and change the filing status? Or would I have a case to prepare his returns as married filing separate and leave it at that?

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

I would prepare his returns as MFS and leave it at that.

Megan C :

You can amend to go from separate to joint, but not joint back to separate. With the back tax issue, I would just file separate


Thanks. I think that is the most expedient. I appreciate your opinion & advice.

Megan C and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks Christine. Please come back and ask for me if you need anything else!

Thanks again!