How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Purchased a house for $300,000, mother in law paid $100,000

This answer was rated:

Purchased a house for $300,000, mother in law paid $100,000 which was paid directly to the title agency. Is there a gift tax or any other action we need to take to report the $100,000 that was paid towards our new home ?



When one person gifts another more than the annual exclusion amount of $14,000 the giver is required to file a gift tax return on Form 709 due next April 15.


For more information see


Links to forms and instructions are at


Although a return is required there is not any gift tax that has to paid until the lifetime total of such gifts is more than $5.25 million. That is, the return is for information and to reduce that lifetime limit but there is no tax paid with the return.


Please ask if you need more discussion or clarification.

Thank you.



jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you