How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Regarding the PA inheritance tax return question you responded

This answer was rated:

Regarding the PA inheritance tax return question you responded to yesterday, in your response you indicated the inheritance tax is generally paid out of the residuary estate by the personal representative of the estate. What is the process for doing this (is a PA41 return filed for the estate wherein the assets are listed & the tax is paid)? I just want to confirm whether the tax has or has not been paid to PA on the annuity my client (the grandson) inherited. How do I go about confirming this?

Hello again,


PA41 is a fiduciary income tax return and not an inheritance tax return.


The personal representative is responsible for filing the PA inheritance tax return.

From the instructions to Form REV-1500:



An Inheritance Tax return must be filed for every decedent who


has property which is or may be subject to tax. You must file a


return if you are:


(a) The personal representative of the decedent's estate.


The return must disclose property of the decedent administered


by the personal representative and additional property,


which is or may be subject to Inheritance Tax, of


which the personal representative has or acquires knowledge.


(b) The transferee of property, if no personal representative


is appointed or if the personal representative does not


file a return, or if the personal representative files a return


but does not include the subject property...."


So, the representative must file but if the representative does not file or does not include inherited property then the beneficiary must file on that subject property.


The REV-1500 Inheritance Tax Return - Resident Decedent is used for this purpose.

The annuities that represent a return on an investment which are taxable would be reported on REV-1510 Schedule G of the REV-1500 forms.


You can confirm with the personal representative that REV-1500 was filed and that the annuity was on Schedule G and the tax was, or was not, paid.


If you can not get confirmation from the personal representative you would need to contact the Register of Wills Office in the county where the return was filed. It is not clear how long after filing that those records would include the return.


Please ask if need more discussion or clarification.

Thank you.


jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you