Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I RECEIVE A STIPEND FOR BEING AN ADULT FOSTER CAREGIVER TO

MY GRANDMOTHER. IT IS PAID...
I RECEIVE A STIPEND FOR BEING AN ADULT FOSTER CAREGIVER TO MY GRANDMOTHER. IT IS PAID TO ME THRU AN AGENCY DIRECTLY FROM MASSHEALTH...I KNOW THAT IT IS NON-TAXABLE...BUT I ALSO COLLECT SSDI.
I AM AFRAID THAT THE STIPEND WILL INTERFERE WITH THAT AND WILL BE CONSIDERED GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT...
10/18/2013
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Stephen G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX & I'll be helping you today. My goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer that you can understand.

Stephen G. :

Generally speaking, the income that you receive as an adult foster parent or caregiver is not considered "earned income" & therefore is not taxable and is not disqualifying income for purposes of SSDI. The stipend is consider a payment for the support of the patient and not of the "caregiver".

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

ahhhh....I see!!!! Well thank you so much!!!!

Stephen G. :

You can always call your local Social Security Office to confirm your particular payment from Massachusetts, but that is what we have learned from similar inquires in the past.

Stephen G. :

If you need to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Thanks again for using us for your tax and financial questions. You may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble I would appreciate it if you would answer it; the survey results are used to rate our performance;

Stephen G. :

Please remember to rate my response; it is the only way we get credit for our work;

Stephen G. :

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

OK..I SURE WILL..THANKS AGAIN!

Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert