How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am filing a PA Inheritance Tax Return (Form REV-1500) for

This answer was rated:

I am filing a PA Inheritance Tax Return (Form REV-1500) for a taxpayer who was one of several beneficiaries of his grandmother's estate. His portion of the inheritance was an annuity his grandmother owned. His father was the executor & filed a PA Inheritance Tax Return for the portion of the estate he received. I have 2 questions - can the grandson also file a PA Inheritance Tax Return and if so, where does the annuity get reported?



Generally it is the personal representative that files the form for all of the decedent property but there is provision that a transferee can file when property was not included in the form filed by the representative.


From the instructions or who must file:

"The transferee of property, if no personal representative

is appointed or if the personal representative does not


file a return, or if the personal representative files a return


but does not include the subject property. A "transferee"


means any person to whom a transfer is made and includes


legatees, devisees, heirs, next of kin, grantees, beneficiaries,


vendees, assignees, donees, surviving joint tenants.


The return must disclose any property or any interest


therein or income therefrom in possession or enjoyment,


present or future, in trust or otherwise which passes ownership


to the transferee. A separate transferee return is not


required for property included in a personal representative's


return. The inclusion of property in the return does


not constitute an admission that its transfer is taxable."


If the annuities represent a return on an investment (a single premium was paid), they are taxable and should be reported on REV-1510 Schedule G of the REV-1500 Inheritance Tax Return - Resident Decedent. Annuities do not qualify for the $3,000 exclusion allowed for transfers made within one year of the decedent's death.



Unless the decedent's Will provides otherwise, the inheritance tax is generally payable out of the residuary estate by the personal representative of the estate. If the personal representative does not pay the tax, the tax must be paid by the recipient of the residuary estate.


So, the grandson can but usually does not file the return and pay the inheritance tax.


Please ask if you need more discussion or clarification.

Thank you.


jgordosea and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you