Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I recently took a job 225 miles from my home. I rented an

I recently took a job...
I recently took a job 225 miles from my home. I rented an apartment and commute home on the weekends. Is any of the rent or mileage deductible?
10/16/2013
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Welcome. Thank you for choosing us to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to help make your life, a little... less taxing.

You being able to deduct either the rent or mileage depends on if the work location is considered a "temporary", or a "permanent" work location. SEE BELOW:

Temporary work location. If you have one or more regular work locations away from your home and you commute to a temporary work location in the same trade or business, you can deduct the expenses of the daily round-trip transportation between your home and the temporary location, regardless of distance.

If your employment at a work location is realistically expected to last (and does in fact last) for 1 year or less, the employment is temporary unless there are facts and circumstances that would indicate otherwise.

If your employment at a work location is realistically expected to last for more than 1 year or if there is no realistic expectation that the employment will last for 1 year or less, the employment is not temporary, regardless of whether it actually lasts for more than 1 year.

If employment at a work location initially is realistically expected to last for 1 year or less, but at some later date the employment is realistically expected to last more than 1 year, that employment will be treated as temporary (unless there are facts and circumstances that would indicate otherwise) until your expectation changes. It will not be treated as temporary after the date you determine it will last more than 1 year.

-----------------------------

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch04.html

In summary,

What the above means is that if this job location is considered temporary, based on the definition provided above, then you will can deduct reasonable and necessary business expenses for the lodging and mileage. However, if the work location is not considered temporary based on the definition provided above, then the new location will be considered your tax home for tax purposes, and you will not be able to deduct the expenses for lodging or mileage.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

As we know that you have choices, we thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance.
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Thank you for the high positive rating. I do appreciate it. IRS Pub 17 also touches on the subject matter of temporary work location, a bit more in detail. SEE BELOW:

Temporary assignment vs. indefinite assignment.

If your assignment or job away from your main place of work is temporary, your tax home does not change. You are considered to be away from home for the whole period you are away from your main place of work. You can deduct your travel expenses if they otherwise qualify for deduction. Generally, a temporary assignment in a single location is one that is realistically expected to last (and does in fact last) for 1 year or less.

However, if your assignment or job is indefinite, the location of the assignment or job becomes your new tax home and you cannot deduct your travel expenses while there. An assignment or job in a single location is considered indefinite if it is realistically expected to last for more than 1 year, whether or not it actually lasts for more than 1 year.

If your assignment is indefinite, you must include in your income any amounts you receive from your employer for living expenses, even if they are called travel allowances and you account to your employer for them. You may be able to deduct the cost of relocating to your new tax home as a moving expense. See Publication 521 for more information.

Determining temporary or indefinite. You must determine whether your assignment is temporary or indefinite when you start work. If you expect an assignment or job to last for 1 year or less, it is temporary unless there are facts and circumstances that indicate otherwise. An assignment or job that is initially temporary may become indefinite due to changed circumstances. A series of assignments to the same location, all for short periods but that together cover a long period, may be considered an indefinite assignment.

Going home on days off. If you go back to your tax home from a temporary assignment on your days off, you are not considered away from home while you are in your hometown. You cannot deduct the cost of your meals and lodging there. However, you can deduct your travel expenses, including meals and lodging, while traveling between your temporary place of work and your tax home. You can claim these expenses up to the amount it would have cost you to stay at your temporary place of work.

If you keep your hotel room during your visit home, you can deduct the cost of your hotel room. In addition, you can deduct your expenses of returning home up to the amount you would have spent for meals had you stayed at your temporary place of work.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch26.html#en_US_2012_publink1000173689

-------------------------

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant