Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I have a unauthorized substance tax assessment mailed to me

I have a unauthorized substance tax assessment mailed to me earlier this month. I'm 3 months late on the tax and didnt even there was even such a tax. The penalties are stacking very fast. I cannot pay it all off or even close to it, in one payment. People tell me I should call them, but in the mailing it says I should mail them. I'm unsure of what to do. I would like to pay it off in payments, but it'll be impossible if they penalties keep building. What should I do? I live in the state of North Carolina. Thanks!

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Like you, I believe you should call the state about this tax, and they can give you further instructions on what to do to set up a payment plan.

Megan C :

1-877-308-9103

Megan C :

That's the number to the division which handles this tax.

Customer:

alright

Megan C :

But, the thing that you should NOT do is ignore this.

Megan C :

I would send in what you can, and call them to set up a payment plan and work out an agreement with them.

Customer:

Is there a chance it might get lowered?

Megan C :

If you contact them, it is possible that they will abate some of the penalties in exchange for payment of the tax

Megan C :

It's not guaranteed, but it is possible

Megan C :

If you didn't want to do this yourself, you could hire a tax professional to do it for you.

Customer:

Whats the estimate for that kind of service, do you know?

Megan C :

It depends on the preparer, but you're looking at maybe a couple hours work so perhaps between $150-$500. Big range, but it all depends on the professional.

Customer:

Alright, thank you Megan

Megan C :

You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

I think the rest would be up to me now Megan, thanks

Megan C :

You're welcome. I wish you the best of luck

Megan C :

Please don't forget to rate before exiting the chat. The rating feature is located along the bottom of your screen

Thanks, Birdy for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. IT was a pleasure working with you today.