How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am planning to buy a gas station. Do I have to file form

This answer was rated:

I am planning to buy a gas station. Do I have to file form 720. Is there a requirement for me to collect and dispense excise taxes as a retailer of gas.



In most situations, the gasoline retailer pays excise taxes to the wholesale supplier and it is the wholesaler that is required to submit form 720.

Gasoline retailers are not included in the definitions or those required to file in the instructions for Form 720. See the instructions at


If you only have retail sales is not usually required to do any reporting or to submit form 720.


There are sites and publications with extensive tax information of gasoline retailers.



From page 50

"A Retailer generally is liable for the federal tax on gasoline, diesel fuel, or kerosene only when the operator blends taxed fuel with previously untaxed fuel or when the operator delivers dyed diesel fuel or dyed kerosene into the fuel supply tank of a registered diesel fuel powered highway vehicle. See previous discussion on blending.

A Retailer generally is liable for tax when it delivers propane and other liquefied petroleum gasoline (LPG) into the fuel supply tank of a registered highway vehicle. As of October 1, 1997, the tax rate on propane is $0.136 per gallon."


Please ask if you need more discussion or clarification.

Thank you.







jgordosea and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions