Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I mistakenly believed I did not have to file a tax return because

I had lived offshore for...
I mistakenly believed I did not have to file a tax return because I had lived offshore for over 4 years. Turns out that US based income (retirement) is taxable. I contacted an accountant that specializes in expat taxes. They prepared the back tax returns and submitted forms so I could make monthly payments to satisfy the back taxes, interest and penalties. I filed the returns in August and just received IRS confirmation of two of the returns. Because I live in Thailand mail is very slow so I am sure the other two will follow.
Here is the question: how do I confirm the IRS has accepted the payment plan? I cannot contact the IRS because of the government shutdown. Thanks
10/13/2013
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

Anne :

Hi

Anne :

thank you for using justanwer

Anne :

The smallest amount that the IRS will accept on a payment plan in $25, so if you made arrangements to pay at least that much you should be fine

Anne :

Please see below:

Customer:

OK, next question. How much can the IRS attach of a federal retirement?

Anne :

Since interest is still adding up, you're going to want to pay your debt down much sooner

Customer:

I have agreed to pay them $440 per month, am I OK?

Anne :

As long as you're making your payments, there should be no attachment/lien

Customer:

How can I verify they have accepted by offer?

Anne :

Have you sent them a payment yet?

Customer:

No

Customer:

I was waiting to here from them.

Customer:

Should I remit payment before being contacted?

Anne :

I actually can see no reason why they WOULDN'T accept it (you're paying much more than the $25 minimum) then I would send them a check as soon as possible

Anne :

be sue to include your SS# XXXXX the year you are paying the debt for)

Customer:

Problem is where I live there are no personal checking accounts. Everything is paid by ATM.

Customer:

Can I set up an allotment from direct deposit to pay the debt?

Anne :

IRS accepts CC and money orders also

Customer:

OK

Customer:

So, just to be clear I should begin payments before they contact me?

Anne :

ye

Anne :

yes

Customer:

TY

Anne :

you're most welcome

Customer:

Should I remit the amount I asked for?

Customer:

The $440 per month?

Anne :

yes

Customer:

TY you have answered my questions.

Anne :

that way they can match up the paperwork & your check

Customer:

OK

Customer:

Thanks again

Anne :

Please come back to justanswer if we can help you in the future

Customer:

One more thing. The link you sent me is to set up payments online. Can I use that?

Customer:

And does the government shutdown affect anything?

Anne :

The form you want to fill out is

Anne :

the IRS has been affected by the govt shutddown

Anne :

however, they do accept payments

Anne :

its really more or less the audits that can't be done right now

Customer:

OK, I tried to call and they informed me that the shutdown caused the help line to be discontinued.

Anne :

Yes I found that out also

Anne :

I can't imagine the shutdown will continue too much longer

Anne :

but by the same token, I have NEVER seen the IRS NOT accept money

Customer:

I am sorry for being so obtuse, but I have already submitted Form 9465. Should I just go ahead and assume the terms are acceptable and make payment?

Anne :

You fine..........really.....you're not obtuse..........which, by the way, is one of my favorite words........lol

Customer:

LOL

Customer:

Some would disagree.

Anne :

the quicker you get the payment in, the less interest you'll pay in the longrun

Customer:

Thanks

Customer:

I really appreciate the help and professionalism.

Anne :

Thank you

Customer:

Bye

Anne :

Please feel free to ask for me by name

Anne :

if I can help you agan

Customer:

Will do

Anne :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

No thanks.

Customer:

Bye

Anne :

bye and thank you for using justanswerr

Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer