How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29649
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe the irs 3,912 dollars from mistaken taxes from the year

This answer was rated:

I owe the irs 3,912 dollars from mistaken taxes from the year 2011. I needed to pay this by 10-16 2013. I have discovered that I also owe foor 2012, although they have not discovered that yet. I would like to get an extension on paying the 2011 taxes until I can also find out and pay for the 2012 taxes with the 2011 payment. I called but do to the shut down no one can answer how to file an extension before the 10-16 2013 deadline. What do I do?

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
Please do not shoot the messenger... but there is NO extension belong Oct 15.
You just need to file your tax return and if you owe - pay as much as you could - at least you would not file late and will avoid late filing penalty.
If you owe fro 2011 and for 2012 - your payment first will be applied to 2011 tax debt.
If you are sending a check - put your SSN in the memo.
You will not be able to communicate with the IRS at this time because of issues with funding the government.
After the IRS will start operate - you will be able to contact them and apply for installment agreement if you are not able to pay the full amount.


I received a notice from the irs stating that from the year 2011 our taxes were filed incorrectly and that by 2013-10-16 we owe 3,912 dollars. My husband then admitted to me he lied on the 2012 taxes as well. However I have only gotten the notice for the 2011 tax year. I dont have the money to pay it by the due date. Is there really nothing I can do? If all I can pay is 50. dollars right now, is that what I do? I am so sorry for being so ignorent, its caused me a lot of trouble evidently.


I reread your answer and I think I get it now. Sorry, just in a bit of a panic.

Lev :

Sorry for your situation. Please be aware
- there is NO extension for payments - extension will only apply to filing your tax return
- there is NO extension belong Oct 15 - so try to comply and file your tax return before the deadline.
- if you file timely your 2012 tax return - you will avoid late filing penalty.
- because you owe - there will be late payment penalty - and interest charges - so pay as much as you could and you will need to apply for installment agreement with the IRS.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

You can make monthly payments through an installment agreement if you're not financially able to pay your tax debt immediately. However, you will reduce or eliminate the amount of penalties and interest you pay and avoid the fee associated with setting up an installment agreement if you pay your tax bill in full. Before you apply:

  • File all required tax returns;
  • Consider other sources (loan or credit card) to pay your tax debt in full to save money;
  • Determine the largest monthly payment you can make ($25 minimum); and
  • Know that your future refunds will be applied to your tax debt until it is paid in full.

Fees for setting up an installment agreement:

  • $52 for a direct debit agreement;
  • $105 for a standard agreement or payroll deduction agreement; or
  • $43 if your income is below a certain level.

Apply for an installment agreement