Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If you recieve a MasterCard gift card and you use it for medical

bills can you add that...
If you recieve a MasterCard gift card and you use it for medical bills can you add that into your medical totals on your taxes?
10/10/2013
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Lane :

Yes

Lane :

The deduction is irrespective of how you generated the money ... Further gifts are excluded from income (under Title 26 of the US code)

Lane :

So, yes whether this was a gift from parents, income that you have already paid tax on, withdrawal from in IRA, etc., etc. --- All that matters is that you actually spent the money on medical costs

Lane :

($ over which you had control that you decided to spend on medical costs) Make sense?

Customer: So if parent gave us gift cards to help with medical bill then yes we can write it off
Customer: Yes we have receits showing it went to medical
Lane :

The car is just a vehicle, a conduit. .. could have been a check, a credit card, a debit card. You still spent the money on a deductible medical expense. The criteria for the deduction is that you spent the money on a deductible medical expense ... source of the money isnt an issue.

Lane :

sorry for the typo ... The CARD is just a vehicle ....

Customer: Thank u
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Thanks so much!

If you'd like to work with ME again just say "For Lane only," at the beginning of your next question.

OR you can also add me as your preferred expert on your home page if you'd like.

Regardless, thanks again for the feedback!

Lane
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS