How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 11830
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please explain if business (sch K-1form 1020S) was sold in

This answer was rated:

Please explain if business (sch K-1form 1020S) was sold in 2011, but owner got installment payment from it in 2012 and 2013. What form should use in Personal Tax Return in 2012? K-1 as in 2011?
Thank you

Lane :


Lane :

No the K-1 is for reporting the distributive share of an owner's income, losses, etc.

Lane :

Now that the owner is receiving installment sale payments, you'll end up on schedule D of the 1040

Lane :

From that page: Generally, you will use Form 6252 to report installment sale income from casual sales of real or personal property during the tax year. You also will have to report the installment sale income on Schedule D (Form 1040), Capital Gains and Losses, or Form 4797, or both. SeeSchedule D (Form 1040) and Form 4797

Lane :

I still don't see you coming into the chat session, so I'll move us to the "Q&A" mode. … Maybe that will help … (We can still continue a dialogue there, just not in real-time chat, as we can here) ... My screen says you're offline

Lane :

Please let me know if you have any questions at all ...

Lane :


Lane :

If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better … That's the only way they will pay us here.

HOWEVER, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Hi Galina,

... just checking back in here, as I never saw you come into the chat.

But again, let me know if you have questions...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Lane,
Thank you for your reply. I agree with you about Form 6252. But I wander how tax preparer did 2011 Personal Tax Return. Is it right, if it's done only Form 4797 (from K-1 and K-1 is final)?

I appreciate you

Yes, you're spot on.

...could have been the final partial year and Still received the first installment payment that year.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I asked one more question and don't see it. I repeat. How use form 6252 and show that only 50% of installment payments belong the ex-partner.

Thank you


You'll will just report the amounts received by the taxpayer .. what matters is the amuunt actually received, rather that whatever propertion it may be of any total total transaction.

For example, for basis and other information in section I you will only report HIS/HER proportionate piece.

GROSS PROFIT AND CONTRACT PRICE, (for example) should only include the taxpayer's proportion.

Gross profit PERCENTAGE however, on line 19, will be that taxpayer's gross profit profit divided by that taxpayers's portion (FROM lines 16 and 18) of the contract price.

Make sense?


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is

Thank you for the lessonSmile

You are very welcome :)

and thank you for the compliment.

Your positive rating, however, is thanks enough.

(That's the only way we get paid here)

Let me now if I can elp further

Lane and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thanks so much for the rating Galina!

If you'd like to work with ME again just say "For Lane only," at the beginning of your next question

OR set me up as your preferred expert on your home page.

(Although we have MANY excellent experts here)

Regardless, thanks again,