Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Do I pay tax on bringing inheritance monies from Canada into

Do I pay tax on bringing inheritance monies from Canada into the US?

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.

Robin D. :

The US does not have inheritance tax. If you inherited cash then you are not taxed on the amount.

Robin D. :

If you inherited an account or property then you may be taxed depending on the situation of disposal and receiving money from that.

Robin D. :

A short answer would be NO, but only if you inherited actual cash money.

Robin D. :

If it was money and over $100,000, and you are a US person (citizen or resident alien) then you would need to report the inheritance using Form 3520 but that is not a form to calculate tax. It is strictly reporting.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Robin D. :

Customer Last Viewed Today at 5:13

Robin D. :

Did you want to add any more information about the specifics of the inheritance?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate you getting back to me
Just to clarify, even if I am inheriting monies from Mom in Canada
I do not have to pay tax on it in Canada, when I take it out & I do not have to pay tax in the US when I bring it in

Hello, You are not taxed on money (cash)inherited in the US. As I stated though you may need to report the inherited amount if more then $100,000. The Canadian side is correct too as there is no inheritance tax in Canada. Any tax would be paid by the estate but you are not taxed. There is no estate issue for US if your mother was not a US person.