How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 11821
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a solo 401k. I know that at age 70 1/2 I must withdraw

This answer was rated:

I have a solo 401k. I know that at age 70 1/2 I must withdraw the minimum distribution. Can I continue to make contributions after this time?

Lane :


Lane :

Yes, as long as you are still working ... Here's an excellent example from Forbes:

Lane :

Example - Pretax 401(k)
In 2011, a 75-year-old self-employed worker making $80,000 contributed $22,000 to his new 401(k); the plan has a December 31, 2011, balance of $22,000. The 2012 RMD for the now 76-year-old worker will only be $1,000. If you take the end of year balance of $22,000 and divide it by the RMD factor of a 76-year-old, 22, you end up with a taxable distribution of $1,000. After all is said and done, the net result for the individual would be a $21,000 deduction.

Lane :

Also, see this from IRS:

Lane :

Is an employer required to make plan contributions for an employee who has turned 70½ and is receiving required minimum distributions?

Yes, you must continue contributions for an employee, even if they are receiving RMDs. You must also give the employee the option to continue making salary deferrals, if the plan permits them. Otherwise, you will fail to follow the plan's terms, causing your plan to lose its qualified status. You may correct this failure through the Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS).

How Contributions Affect RMDs
When you calculate an employee’s RMD, consider any contributions that you make for that employee. For defined contribution plans, calculate the RMD for an employee by dividing his or her prior December 31 account balance by a life expectancy factor in the applicable table contained in Appendix C of Pub. 590. A defined benefit plan generally must make RMDs by distributing the participant’s entire interest as calculated by the plan’s formula in periodic annuity payments for:

  • child">the participant’s life,

  • the joint lives of the participant and beneficiary, or

  • a “period certain” (see Treas. Reg. §1.401(a)(9)-6, A-3).

Lane and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thanks Terry,

I was waiting for you to come into the chat and see if you had further questions.

Let me know if you have any more questions on this.


Related Tax Questions