Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Thanx for your reply Roger. Another Question. Do scammers have

the ability to print an...
Thanx for your reply Roger. Another Question. Do scammers have the ability to print an official looking bank (debit) card with the Visa Logo on it?
10/6/2013
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answers! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Yes, I would think they could. There was a scam here in the Chicago area not too long ago where the thieves were taking information at ATMs from people's debit cards, and then printing new cards and selling them to people. They had some kind of scanner that captured the information when you put your card into the ATM, and it recorded the pin number as well. The people they caught here were part of a ring that was around the world and had taken over $2 billion since it started!

Here is the link: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/cyber-thieves-busted-45-million-heist-article-1.1339051 They were mostly in New York, but they got some people here too.

It could even be a legitimate debit card! They could easily open an account, put your name on an ATM card, and send it to you. They only had $40 in the account, and you took $20 out (I hope you kept it! I would try to get the other $20 if you can, for your time!).

My secretary received a Western Union money order a year ago so she could be a "personal shopper" for an internet company. She was to buy items online from this company, pay for it with her own real debit card, and afterwards deposit the money order into her bank account to reimburse her for her purchases. The money order she received was so good that Bank of America accepted it and deposited it into her account. It was only when Western Union rejected it and said it was not a valid order did BoA know it was not legitimate! It had the Western Union hologram and everything!

It is easy to buy blank credit card stock. The magnetic strips can be easily programmed, and they can be easily imprinted as well. So yes, they can print almost anything.

Thanks for your question! If you have any more feel free to ask, and I will answer them! If you have found my answer helpful, please rate me highly! I would appreciate that!

taxmanrog
taxmanrog
taxmanrog