Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

working on 2012 taxes. Re: form SSA-1099 recd when disability

working on 2012 taxes. Re...
working on 2012 taxes. Re: form SSA-1099 rec'd when disability awarded Am 63, live in Fresno, CA and am single.
10/5/2013
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

Anne :

Can you tell me a little bit more about your situation?

Anne :

Did the SSA-1099 include amounts for prior years?

Customer:

YES, 2008 -2009-2010-2011

Anne :

How much was your back payment for each year?

Customer:

REC'D IN FEB OR MARCH OF 2012

Customer:

$11,886.00 FOR 2008, $25,152.00 FOR 2009, $25,152. FOR 2010, $25,152. FOR 2011

Anne :

Ok and did you have wages for those years, or were you collecting disability from your employer

Anne :

I apologize for all of the questions, but depending on the type of income you received, and your age when you first started receiving it, makes a big difference in how the $ for the prior years is handled

Customer:

I used up my savings, credit cards, help from my mom, then at the end , I found out I could amt draw on small

Customer:

on small amt of retirement from few years I worked at a County Hospital that was taken over by another hospital.

Anne :

Thank you that helped alot

Anne :

Social Security is only taxable if there is other taxable income to report, such as a W2

Anne :

Since that's not the case with you, you will have no taxable SS

Anne :

When you receive retroactive SS like this, you have 2 options on how to handle it

Anne :

One of the options is to consider it all received in the current year..........and since you have no taxable income, this would be the best option for you

Anne :

You will not even need to file a Federal Tax Return if this SS is your only income

Customer:

Well, I get the small amount from county, monthly amt $1500 and current disability of $1,000 mo (or vice versa) currently and most of 2012, starting March or april

Anne :

You received this income ONLY in 2012?

Anne :

(the $1500 and $1000/month)?

Customer:

Got the catch-up check when they decided to award me disability, a monyh or two later started the monthly $1000 cks, and continue to do so. The retirement cks I got thru 2012 and currently.

Customer:

The last month the large amt represented was for the year2011

Anne :

Ok.........let me see if I have all of the information correct

Anne :

In 2012 you received disability from your former employer in the amount of $1500/per month

Anne :

You were also receiving a separate $ amount ($1000/month)

Anne :

Does this also represent disability from your former employer, or is this a pension or somerhing?

Anne :

and finally, who paid for the disability insurance when you were working...........the employer, or did you also contribute?

Customer:

Monthly ck from fresno County was for $1500 after taxes deducted. I pd disability insurance. Big ck from soc sec was catch=up from time I began application for disability through denials and approval. Then month or two later after big check, they started my monthly disability payments Did I answer the questions. For yr 2012 I rec

Customer:

Form 1099-R for amt from fresno county. Disability came from separate place - Social Security, both big ck & small monthly ck.

Anne :

So prior to 2012 when you found out that you qualifed for the disability from your former employer, you lived off of your cc?

Customer:

Correct

Anne :

Ok........then we need to talk about the other option when you get retroactive SS

Customer:

Okay

Anne :

You have the choice of counting all of your SS (including retroactive amounts) in the year you received the money (which would be 2012)

Anne :

The 2nd option is to treat the SS as if you had received the retroactive amounts in the prior year

Anne :

Since you had not source of income (living off CC) prior to 2012 , you may choose to count the retroactive SS for the years they listed on the 1099SSA

Customer:

elaborate, what do I do for prior years?

Anne :

or example, you can count the $11,886 as actually being received that money in 2008

Customer:

so I need to re-do previous taxes?

Anne :

You're right, it is a little elaborate, but since you had no income for 2008,2009,2010 and 2011, that means that none of these amounts would generate a tax liability

Anne :

No, you do not need to file tax returns for the prior year returns

Anne :

The IRS knows that you didn't file a tax return for those years because there was no income submitted to them under your SS#

Customer:

My goodness, you give Govt a lot of credit - but I like it!

Anne :

LOL

Anne :

I've been doing this for a long time

Anne :

Please file your 1099SSSA where you can find it JUST IN CASE the IRS asks questions, but I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.

Customer:

Thank you! I could give you really stellar critical care nursing care in a trauma unit, but law, taxes, $$ is all a mystery Okay, good idea!

Anne :

That's ok...........I absolutely couldn't do your job.......but I'm smart enough to know that its the nurses that REALLY knows what's going on

Anne :

If you want..........you can always bookmark this page (even after you rate & pay) and that way IF a question comes up (big if) from the IRS, you can come back and ask follow up questions

Customer:

I know I'm going to have a less-stressed evening! Hope you have a great evening! Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will bookmark it

Anne :

I'm glad I could help

Anne :

Please feel free to come back anytime.

Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Thank you for the excellent rating and your generous bonus!

Please feel free to ask for me by putting "for Anne"in your question line if I can help you in the future.
Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer