How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55452
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son bought an apartment, a foreclosure, about 18 months

This answer was rated:

My son bought an apartment, a foreclosure, about 18 months ago for $ 76000 and I provided him an interest only mortgage for $100,000 with the anticipation of doing alot of upgrades, which we did not do. Spent only about $ 5000 on paint and flooring.

He and his wife have now bought a new house and he no longer wants the apartment, so they want to sell it or transfer it back to me.

I was thinking maybe a quit claim deed might do the trick as it is worth what he paid for it plus improvements, but I have heard that there might be gift taxes may be owed.

From a tax standpoint, is it better for him to quitclaim it to me or to sell it to me?
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you!

There would be no tax involved in this transaction. Rather, he is simply transferring the property to you in satisfaction of the loan your provided...much like a deed in lieu of foreclosure. He would make this transfer by quit claim deed. If the value of the property is not worth the outstanding balance of the loan, you can treat the excess of the loan being forgiven as a gift. But, there will be no gift tax resulting from this. Recipients of gifts are not subject to gift tax. And, there should also be no gift tax due from the donor. Each donor can give $14,000 per year per person under the annual gift exclusion. In addition to that, for any amounts in excess of the $14,000 in a year, each person has a $5,250,000 lifetime exemption....which means a person can give a cumulative amount of up to $5,250,000 in gifts over and above the $14,000 annual gift exclusion amount without incurring gift tax....the donor must file a gift tax return to let the IRS know how much of the lifetime exemption is being used, but there will be no gift tax until cumulative additional gifts have exceeded the $5,250,000.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I truly appreciate you taking the time to do that!