Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What we need to do to appoint a secretary or any authorized

person in the corporation who...
What we need to do to appoint a secretary or any authorized person in the corporation who may have no financial interest but can be used as an authorized person for obtaining EIN
10/3/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
For that - complete the Third Party Designee section only if you want to authorize the named individual to receive the entity’s EIN and answer questions about the completion of Form SS-4.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf
The designee’s authority terminates at the time the EIN is assigned and released to the designee. You must complete the signature area for the authorization to be valid.
Taxpayers can obtain an EIN immediately by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at _800_829_4933_. An assistor takes the information, assigns the EIN, and provides the number to an authorized individual over the telephone. A third party designee may call for an EIN; however a faxed Form SS-4, with the taxpayer's signature, is still required.

Lev :

IRS assistors will take the information over the phone from the third party designee and ask the third party to fax the completed Form SS-4 to them (to the IRS assistor's attention) at an administrative fax number. After receiving the faxed Form SS-4, the EIN will be assigned and faxed back to the third party designee, or given over the phone. The third party designee's authority terminates at the time the EIN is assigned and released to the designee.

Customer:

The company CEO does not have ss#, therefore an authorized person is needed to apply for ein

Lev :

That is OK - but the third party designee must be provided by the Form SS4. That is the only way the IRS will accept the authority.
The company CEO must sign the Form SS4 to authorize another individual.

Customer:

We will be using ss# XXXXX the designee.?

Lev :

There is no need to use the SSN of the designee. There is no income reported to the designee and the tax ID is not required. You only need to identify the designee.
SS4 form is to request a tax ID for the corporation.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor