How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can parent still claim child as a dependent on parents return

This answer was rated:

Can parent still claim child as a dependent on parent's return even if the child claimed the education credit on her personal return?

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

In order to claim the educational credit, someone must be listed as an exemption on a tax return. If the student claims the credit, that means that they claimed an exemption for themselves on their tax return. In this case, the parent could not claim the educational deduction. They can only claim it if they can mark the dependent as an exemption.


I'm here

Megan C :

Yes, do you see my answer?

Megan C :

You can read more about this, HERE

Megan C :

From Publication 17:

Megan C :

Who cannot claim a credit. You cannot take an education credit if any of the following apply.

  1. You are claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, such as your parent's return.

  2. Your filing status is married filing separately.

  3. You (or your spouse) were a nonresident alien for any part of 2012 and did not elect to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes.

  4. Your MAGI is one of the following.

    1. American opportunity credit: $180,000 or more if married filing jointly, or $90,000 or more if single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er).

    2. Lifetime learning credit: $124,000 or more if married filing jointly, or $62,000 or more if single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er).


Yes, now I do. Let me give a little more detail. The child, college student, initially filed a 1040EZ and marked the she would be claimed as a dependent by her parent. Now that he has completed his return, he makes to much income to benefit from the credit, so the child amended her return and took the credit herself. My question is, does that deny his ability to claim her as a dependent on his tax return?

Megan C :

Yes, he could not claim the student as a dependent, as the student claimed themself in order to get the credit.


Got it, thanks for the clarification.

Megan C and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks, Terri for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a tax question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Megan, I get so confused with Just Answer. I continue to receive requests to reply to my expert or rate their service when I have already done so. I don't want my expert to not get credit for their service, but there seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

What are your thoughts?

I thanked you for your rating, and they must be sending you a message about that.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought as much. So I will ignore the last two emails. I'm happy; you're happy...all is well. :)

Have a great weekend.