How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29772
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HI Lev, We spoke a few days ago on Switzerland and US tax

This answer was rated:

HI Lev,
We spoke a few days ago on Switzerland and US tax responsibilities. My new question is: When we leave Switzerland does the money/taxes I paid into the Swiss Social System come with me i.e. (social security/medicare). Also My pension is a private pension thru my company, will i be able to bring along as well? Do you have access to any info on this and or any links I could view.

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
From US tax prospective - contributions into your Switzerland retirement account are not deductible - thus while such contributions do not reduce your US taxable income. Only contributions into US qualified retirement accounts may be deducted.
Thus - from US tax prospective - your contributions into foreign retirement account will be your basis(investment in the contract).
When distributed - just as with domestic pensions or annuities, the taxable amount generally is the Gross Distribution minus the basis.

Lev :

The Swiss Social Security taxes are not reimbursed if you leave the country - but under some circumstances - you might be eligible to receive social security benefits.
You will find some additional information in THIS PUBLICATION.
A private pension generally available when you are no longer employed. However there might be vesting schedule and additional limitations set by your employer. None of private pensions are the same. I suggest to contact HR person in your company who is responsible for employee benefits and ask for the pamphlet which contains all information about your pension plan.

Lev and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you