How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my girlfriend claimed our newborn son when she applied for

This answer was rated:

If my girlfriend claimed our newborn son when she applied for Medicaid, am I, as the child's father, able to claim him on my taxes?
Thanks for using! I will do my best to provide you with a clear and concise answer to your tax question based on the information that you have provided.

As far as tax purposes go, you can claim a child as a dependent as long as the following applies:

1.) The child is your son or daughter (or other descendant).
2.) The child is under the age of 19 (or 24 if a full-time student) or disabled.
3.) You lived with the child for more than half the year, or the parent with whom the child did live more than half the year signs form 8332 releasing the exemption to you.
4.) The child did not provide more than half of their own financial support.

Most likely, you can claim the child for tax purposes.

The only problem that I could see arising with Medicaid is if your girlfriend did not disclose a.) child support that may have paid by you, b.) whether you live with her and the child, and/or c.) money you pay to support her and the child. Medicaid eligibility is based on household income and taxable and non-taxable income If anything was not disclosed on her Medicaid application, the child not being claimed on her return may trigger some questions from the Medicaid department. However, I am speculating on possible issues and the chances of Medicaid taking the actions I have mentioned may be pretty slim as well.

If there are additional questions, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further. If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent so that I may receive credit for my work. Thanks for your business.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are currently living together, but filling separately.When my girlfriend had applied for Medicaid I did not live with her. I lost my job right before I moved in, (07/2013).

Ajay. If you don't have income it shouldn't be a big deal. She should probably talk with her Medicaid case worker to make sure.

Let me know if this helps
Did the information that I provided answer your question? Is there any other questions?

Thanks for using JustAnswers, and allowing me to opportunity to serve you.

Before the question can be closed and I can be paid, you need to rate my service. Please click "OK Service" or better so that I am paid for assisting you. Please ask for further assistance if needed. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid but the Web site will still collect your payment.
Phillip B, EA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you