Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We are a commercial printer in the state of Ohio. Do I tax

We are a commercial printer...
We are a commercial printer in the state of Ohio.
Do I tax my customers on the tax rate in their location or the tax rate in my location, which would be the point of purchase?
10/1/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
The purpose of sourcing is to determine the location of the sale for sales tax purposes. If a sale is taxable, the sourcing of the sale will determine the appropriate jurisdiction’s tax rate for the seller to charge.

Robin D. :

If your sale is to an Ohio buyer then the vendor's location where the purchaser's order is received, regardless of location from which tangible personal property is shipped.

Robin D. :

So if you are making the sale in your location and the customer does not have an exemption for the sale, you shoudl charge at your rate.

Robin D. :

Ohio has affiliated with the Streamline sales tax now and here is a link to an easy chart for sourcing:
http://www.tax.ohio.gov/sales_and_use/information_releases/st_2009_03_sourcing_chart.aspx

Robin D. :

Ohio vendors of tangible personal property will source their sales to Ohio consumers to the location where the vendors receive the order from the consumer.

Robin D. :

Delivery does not change this. If a sale is taxable, the sourcing of the sale will determine the appropriate jurisdiction’s tax rate for the seller to charge.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Robin D. :

The system advises me that you are standing by but it also said

<div class="JA_chatMsgContent"Customerhas entered this chat!

11:02 AM

<div class="JA_chatMsgContent"Customerhas stepped out of this chat.

Robin D. :

Responding below let's me know that you can view the posted answer to your question.

Robin D. :

I can change us to regular Q&A but we cannot CHAT in real time if I do.

Customer:

Yes I see the answer.

Robin D. :

Good

Robin D. :

I was worried there was a problem

Customer:

No problem, I'v never used this service before...newbie!

Robin D. :

It can be difficult sometimes

Robin D. :

I would hate for you not to see though

Customer:

Just not familiar is all...thanks.

Robin D. :

You are most welcome.
Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Customer:

My customer insists they should be paying sales tax based on their location and not on my loction at my county sales tax rate...

Robin D. :

Not so

Robin D. :

Your sourcing is where you are if they are making the purchase from your location (fixed location)

Robin D. :

The Streamlined Sales tax was used to get rid of just these soprts of problems

Robin D. :

sorts* sorry

Robin D. :

The chart I sent you the link to should assist

Customer:

thanks Robin.

Robin D. :

You are wlcome

Robin D. :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.
You will find the request feature when you come back under your MY QUESTIONS section.

Robin D. :

Since you are new :)

Customer:

OK, will do ..

Robin D. :

The rating options show your satisfaction

Robin D. :

You may see "smiley faces" for rating

Robin D. :

If you are not given (or have any problems) a chance to rate just let me know.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4