How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15312
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Situation: I pay quarterly. Individual. Self employed.

This answer was rated:

Situation: I pay quarterly. Individual. Self employed. For my 3rd Estimated Tax Payment voucher (1040 ES), I sent a check to the IRS for $7,600.00. The voucher said $7,600.00. The number field on the check said $7,600.00. But the written amount on the check said "Seventy-six and 00/100" dollars. So, the bank cleared only $76.00 to the IRS. This was due 9/15/2013.

Question: Can I just send another payment of $7,600.00 to the IRS with a fresh copy of the3rd pmt voucher? Or do I have to do anything more?

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
You should send another payment for the remaining amount with a short letter explaining what happened. You should make it clear that you wish the payment to be counted for the quarter that the original payment was sent.


sounds good. That's what I had started to do, but wanted confirmation from someone who regularly deals with the IRS.



Robin D. :

You are most welcome.
Your positive rating is always thanks enough

Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you