Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a rental house that I had to make some repairs to in

2012 and did not rent...
I have a rental house that I had to make some repairs to in 2012 and did not rent it at all during the year. The repairs are complete and the house was rented in Feb. 2013. I am preparing my 2012 tax return. Can I claim the 2012 expenses and depreciation on my 2012 return?
9/30/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
If you were making repairs between tenants then yes, you can depreciate and claim the maintenance costs. If you had not placed it for rental on the market (meaning you had to do all this to start renting it out) then you add the costs to the basis of the rental and the day you first placed it on the market is your starting date.

Robin D. :

If that was in 2013 then when you file your 2013 return you start showing the rental. If that date was in 2012 then yes, you can claim it all on 2012.

Robin D. :

It is the start date that you placed in on the market that counts. If you had been renting it out and then had to wait to let another tenant come in you do not stop your depreciation.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4