How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask taxmanrog Your Own Question
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 623
Experience:  Licensed CPA, MA, MST with 31 years' experience. Teach Accounting and Tax courses at Masters level.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
taxmanrog is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Severance pay or settlement payment for termination . How much

This answer was rated:

Severance pay or settlement payment for termination . How much will I be taxed in Texas?

Welcome to Just Answers! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!


For Federal tax purposes, severance pay and settlement compensation are taxable. Payments for any accumulated vacation or sick time are also taxable. You should ensure that enough taxes are withheld from these payments. These would be taxed in the same manner as your other wages, simply added to Line 7 on the Form 1040. The actual amount of tax you pay would depend on your other income. The rates range from 10% up to 39.6%, depending on your filing status and other income and deductions are.


The good news is that because you live in Texas, there is no state income tax! So the only tax you pay would be Federal.


You can go to several different websites to estimate what your tax liability. This one is a good and simple one.


I hope that this has answered your question! If you have any more, please let me know and I will be happy to answer them! If you have found my answer helpful, please rate me highly! I would appreciate that!


Again, thanks! Have a great weekend!





In Texas, there is no state tax, so there

taxmanrog and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will I be taxed Fica and Medicare?