Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife and father in law are on a deed of a house that he

lives in. They are...
My wife and father in law are on a deed of a house that he lives in. They are considering taking a HELOC out on that property either with him alone, or jointly. If they open a HELOC jointly, who takes the interest deduction? His income would be used to qualify, but likely that I would be paying the bill with my wife. Does it change if we give him the money to pay the HELOC directly?

Thanks!
9/27/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
If both of them both meet all of the requirements and are both listed on the loan itself and they both contribute towards the payment, they would both be able to split the interest deduction in the amount of interest that each of them actually paid, or the person who is on the loan and makes the entire payment would be the one who would take the interest deduction.
If you give him the money and your spouse is not on the loan then it is a gift but if she is on the loan then it would not matter if she is on the loan.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4