How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29580
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi Lev, I found your comments to the enquiry "I trade stock

This answer was rated:

hi Lev,

I found your comments to the enquiry "I trade stock options and futures through an LLC in Washington" 3 years ago extremely helpful.. My understanding is the LLC ran by multiple partners and is managing investments of the partners with no other financial activities (i.e. not a financial institution) is still not subject to B&O taxes on investment incomes.. However, I saw some discussions that WA state is proposing B&O on investment incomes (interest, dividends, net capital gains) earned by non-financial institutions.. Do you know what the current status is? Many thanks in advance for your help.


I'm Lindie, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.



Hi and welcome to our site!
You are correct - the proposal was made to extend the state’s B&O tax to unearned income over certain limit received by Washington residents and businesses.
That proposal included income derived from investments regardless if earned directly by individuals or via the LLC.
See details here -
Here is the actual HB as proposed -
That proposal was never accepted.
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29580
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions