Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

why would the irs send a certified letter

9/26/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.

Robin D. :

There are many reasons why the IRS would send the letter or notice by certified mail.

Robin D. :

One example is when a taxpayer with a monitored installment agreement, they will receive Notice CP 523, Defaulted Installment Agreement — Notice of Intent to Levy. (See IRM 5.14.8.2.) The notice or letter is sent by certified mail for taxpayers with domestic addresses, or by registered mail if taxpayers have foreign addresses.

Robin D. :

A notice of deficiency is sent by certified mail.

Robin D. :

Normally these notices are sent certified because there are time limits to respond.

Robin D. :

Even if the taxpayer does not sign for the letter the IRS is not prohibited form taking any further action. It is not always bad news.

Robin D. :

Is generally best to get the letter and open it. Delaying would only cut down your time to respond if the notice gives a time period.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

My husband did not file his taxes in 2009 and this was discovered when we filed jointly for 2012. he has filed for that year and was owed money. I am still waiting for a refund from the irs since they took all of our joint refund.

Then it is likely the letter is about that issue. The certified letter may be advising on the Injured Spouse relief (assuming you filed for Injured spouse to get your refund back from that offset).
You will not know though until you open the letter.

yes I did file form 8379 after we had already filed the taxes.
wouldn't the certified mail be for me then, not my husband?

Not always. The IRS sends each party a letter. The requesting spouse is provided Appeal rights in cases where relief is denied in full or in part. The non-requesting spouse is provided Appeal rights in cases where relief is granted in full or in part.
This could mean that they have granted your relief and you will receive your portion of the refund.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4