How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a vacation rental property in California but live in

This answer was rated:

I have a vacation rental property in California but live in Texas. Can deduct all of the expenses on the house from the income?



Yes, you can deduct the ordinary and necessary expenses of renting the house from any rental income. You can not deduct the expenses for any time that you (or your family) personally used the property for your vacation except for property tax and mortgage interest if you itemize deductions.


When there are both rental and personal uses of a property you will have to separate or prorate (such as based on time used) the expenses and report each in the proper place - Schedule E for rental and Schedule A for personal.


For more information see and


"Special Rule for Limited Rental Use If you use a vacation home as a residence and rent it for fewer than 15 days per year, you do not have to report any of the rental income. Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, may be used to report regularly deductible personal expenses, such as qualified mortgage interest, property taxes, and casualty losses."



Please ask if you need more discussion or information.

Thank you.

jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you