Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Hello, After briefly operating as a Nevada corporation and

Hello, After briefly operating as a Nevada corporation and filing only one required tax return in Tax Year 2000, I ended the corporation and filed 1040 Schedule C between 2001 and 2012 for all business operations, reporting all income. After hearing nothing from the IRS since 2001 or so, I suddenly got a request for a missing 940 form and since have
two requests for quarterly payments (Sept 30, 2012 and December 31, 2012 Tax Periods).This seems odd -- the corporation has received no income, no 1099s, has had no expenses, and no bank account for more than 10 years. What could have triggered this, and how do I get this straightened out?

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
I cannot advise what triggered the request but, when you ended the corporation, did you file the final returns and mark as such on the form (that it was a final year)?
Your final 940 form would have a box to marl a well showing that the form was the final. If you still have the copies you could respond with a brief letter advising of the closing date and the date the final forms were filed.

Robin D. :

You could also call the number on the notice and speak with an agent. If you have a CPA or tax professional you may wish to let them handle this for you.

Robin D. :

It is odd that you would receive a notice this late after closing.

Customer:

I don't have income tax records prior to 2005 at this point (using a 7 year requirement). I'll try an agent at the IRS. I assume

Customer:

they can pull up most any record from a computer terminal on their desk to track

Customer:

what has happened?

Robin D. :

Yes they can

Robin D. :

You can also go into your local office of the IRS

Customer:

Well, that should do it. Thanks much.

Robin D. :

You are most welcome

Robin D. :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.
You will find the request feature when you come back under your MY QUESTIONS section.