Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Question about doing an amended tax form: Hi, recently I

Question about doing an amended...
Question about doing an amended tax form:

Hi, recently I discovered that I had made an error on my 2012 form. It's been filed, and I got a refund. What happened was that I included 2,000 in income that I didn't receive. I had entered TDAmeritrade by hand, and then went back in later and downloaded the same information from them. I forgot to delete the original listing, so it showed up as 4,000. When I ran it through Turbotax again, after deleting the original one, none of the figures changed. It said I was not entitled to any more of a refund, and that I didn't owe anything.

Do I still need to file an amended form?

Thank you.
9/24/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.

Robin D. :

When filing an amended return it is important to remember that it is not always to pay more or to get additional refund.

Robin D. :

Your information must match what the IRS received.

Robin D. :

With this in mind you can file the amended return or you can wait to see if the IRS contacts you.

Robin D. :

If you wait, this may not give you as much time as you would like to respond. I would advise to file and correct.

Customer:

I filed in April, and they haven't contacted me yet. How long would it typically take?

Robin D. :

3 years

Robin D. :

right before the time is up.

Customer:

I have it ready to go in Turbotax. I'll print it and sent it. Would I incur any sort of penalty?

Robin D. :

No

Robin D. :

you would not have a penalty if you do not owe any tax with the amended return

Customer:

I had made another error, which they found, and adjusted. Do I need to worry about that one?

Robin D. :

Yes, you want to make sure that the amended part for original shows the correction made by the IRS

Customer:

okay. I believe that had to do with my adding my refund from 2011 in. Apparently, I wasn't supposed to do that.

Robin D. :

If you mean your federal that is correct if you mean your state refund you would only do that if you itemized in teh previous year.

Customer:

i did itemize. I always do

Customer:

but the state contacted me and said I didn't need it

Robin D. :

What it your state refund that you included as income?

Customer:

you mean how much?

Robin D. :

No, I mean you included the state refund but the state advised you not to include it on the federal?

Customer:

i believe so. I had received a letter from the state saying i didn't need to include it (even though turbotax had said so). They adjusted this year's refund accordingly.

Robin D. :

That sounds like it was a correction on the state return not the federal. This would not need to be addressed when amending the federal and when you amend the state too (because you are correcting the fed and need to correct the state too) just make sure that the state does not have the refund on it.

Customer:

okay.

Robin D. :

In short

Robin D. :

Correct for fed and state and make the refund for state is not shown on teh state correct anywhere

Robin D. :

sorry about "teh" (my most common typo

Customer:

since they already adjusted for it?

Robin D. :

Correct

Customer:

Okay. Well, thanks. We all live in fear of the IRS. lol

Customer:

i didn't want to get in trouble

Robin D. :

I know!!

Robin D. :

You are most welcome.
Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Customer:

thanks again. have a nice day.

Robin D. :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.
You will find the request feature when you come back under your MY QUESTIONS section.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4