Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Do all Master Limited Partnerships have to be Publicly Traded

Entities or can you set...
Do all Master Limited Partnerships have to be Publicly Traded Entities or can you set on up the is not.
9/24/2013
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Lane :

Yes, that's actually part of what makes it an MLP (it's definitional): Master limited partnership (MLP) is aLIMITED PARTNERSHIP that is publicly traded on a SECURITIES EXCHANGE

Lane :

MLPs are limited by US Code to only apply to enterprises that engage in certain businesses, mostly pertaining to the use of natural resources, such as petroleum and natural gas extraction and transportation. To qualify for MLP status, a partnership must generate at least 90 percent of its income from what the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) deems "qualifying" sources. For many MLPs, these include all manner of activities related to the production, processing or transportation of oil, natural gas and coal ... SEE: Master Limited Partnerships and Taxation InvestingDaily.com, April 1, 2010.

Lane :

The trade association for MLP's is called ...

National Association of Publicly Traded Partnerships

Lane :

You can certainly set up a Limited Partnership under (Reg D, rule 504) that's exempt from registration, if you follow certain guidelines (no more than 35 investors, etc)

Lane :

Hope this helps

Lane :

Lane

Lane :

I still don't see you coming into the chat session, so I'll move us to the "Q&A" mode. … Maybe that will help … (We can still continue a dialogue there, just not in real-time chat, as we can here)

Please let me know if you have any questions as all ...

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi Deenie,

... just checking back in here, as I never saw you come into the chat.

Again, let me know if you have questions...

Lane

Thanks much,

I'm ABOUT to figure out all your names here :)

... just love Customer

Thanks again,
Lane

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS