How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16579
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do these states below require ("a must") for a corporation

This answer was rated:

Do these states below require ("a must") for a corporation to file a consolidated state tax return? 1. Colorado; 2. Kansas; 3. Montana; 4. Utah
Fact: A corporation with 4 other sister companies doing a similar line of business (customer service) and are owned by one single parent company. Do these 5 corporation be forced to file a consolidated state return for the above states? Only 1 company has nexus in those states.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

For Colorado, you would file an election to file a consolidated return, which would be binding for four years. This means that filing a consolidated return is not a must. CLICK HERE to read about the election to file a consolidated return.

Megan C :

In Kansas, "If two or more corporations file a Federal Income Tax return on a consolidated basis, and if each of such

corporations derive all of their income and expenses from sources within Kansas, they must file a consolidated

return for Kansas income tax purposes." So, if there is no nexus in Kansas, no requirement to file a consolidated return. CLICK HERE for more details
Megan C :

In Montana, you cannot file a consolidated return unless you are a unitary business unit, and one of the requirements to be met as such is that the companies operate exclusively in Montana. CLICK HERE for more details.

Megan C :

In Utah, you would file a "waters edge combined report" if a unitary group. You are not a unitary group unless you are interdependent of each other. If the companies are not interdependent, then no need to file a consolidated return. You can read about unitary groups, HERE and about consolidated reporting, HERE

Megan C :

So, it looks like consolidated returns are not required in each of these four states. Please refer to the sources I provided and let me know if you need any additional assistance.

Megan C :

If I have answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C :

Is there anything additional that you need assistance with?


Thank you very much for your answers above. Exactly what I was looking for!

Megan C and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks, Kendrick for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In the future you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on that survey would be greatly appreciated, as it will assist me with rankings on the site. Thanks for being a valued customer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry: I have 2 more states to ask you: How about AK and ND?

Hello, Kendrick

For Alaska, "If this taxpayer and one or more other Alaska taxpayers are included in a consolidated federal return, these same taxpayers must file a consolidated Alaska return if they are members of the same unitary group. If the federal common parent is not an Alaska taxpayer, identify the common parent on Schedule B, question 2." See HERE

For ND, You do not have to file a consolidated return, either. See HERE

Please take a moment to rate this response as well, so that I can receive further credit for assisting you today.