Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How to obtain the TAX ID from a Texas LLC?

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
Are you asking how to find out what the EIN is for a specific Texas LLC?

Robin D. :

The company should be able to advise you of their tax ID number.
If you are needing information about a Texas entity, you can use the comptroller's database to search by taxpayer number, EIN, legal name, business name, city and zip code to verify the status (active or inactive) of a sales and use tax permit. This search allows vendors to determine permit status of purchasers before accepting a resale certificate.

Robin D. :

The page for the Texas database is
http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/sales/tp_db_search.html

Customer:

I need to get the Tax ID from an entity I own. I have information as the Taxpayer number, file number and webfile number, but I need the Tax ID. I have read this one is different from the EIN right? Is this Tax ID the same as the Sales Tax Permit?

Robin D. :

The Tax ID number if the LLC would be the EIN. Texas doe snot issue a separate Tax ID number. I will check though to see if that changed.

Robin D. :

No, the EIN is the tax ID for the LLC.

Customer:

Thank you very much

Robin D. :

You are most welcome.
Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Customer:

So this is the form I sould file?

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxforms/ap-152.pdf

Robin D. :

Are you intending to bill the state for services or products?

Robin D. :

If not you are not required to have the form or to file it.

Robin D. :

If you are intending to do business with the state of Texas then yes you should.

Customer:

I was just asked to get a Texas entity's Tax ID. If you tell me this one is the same as the EIN, then I should send the state a form in order to get my EIN or how can I get this number?

Customer:

I really appreciate your patience

Robin D. :

Maybe we should start over. You say you were asked to get a Texas entity's Tax ID. Who told you to do that? Normally your tax id for the business is the Federal EIN. So if you have that fine.
If you are going to do business with the state of Texas and need to get paid by the state then you need to fill out the form you have and send that in.
So who said you need th eTexas #?

Robin D. :

And please do not worry about my time or patience, I am here to assist.

Customer:

The form I sent you is just one I found at the SOS website, I was just asking if that one is the one I was supposed to file, but lets forget about that. My boss just asked me to get that number for him. I really have no idea what does he needs it for.

Robin D. :

Maybe you should ask him, he may be under the impression that it is needed.

Robin D. :

If you want to look up the LLC info and check on ID numbers go here
https://ourcpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/Index.html

Robin D. :

and tyoe in the company name

Robin D. :

It will show the numbers associated with the entity in Texas

Customer:

Thank you. My boss just told me he needs that number. He gave me no purpose of getting it, he just told me to get it. I found this link: https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp
Is this the right web page to get that number?

Robin D. :

The federal EIN yes, the LLC would apply for a federal EIN by using the IRS page.

Customer:

So this one works for Texas as well?

Robin D. :

That is the federal number and the LLC would use that in Texas. The Texas number is XXXXX 11 digit number and may be listed on the letter from the SOS when the LLC was formed and registered.

Robin D. :

I would suggest you look there. You would want to make sure that the LLC does not already have an EIN from the IRS.

Robin D. :

If you can tell me the name of the company I will look up the state record and see if they have one assigned (it is public record)

Customer:

The name of the company is Amphibio Technologies, LLC.
I'll provide you all the numbers I have
Taxpayer number: XXXXXXXXXXX br/>File number: XXXXXXXXXX /p>

Robin D. :

That's fine

Robin D. :

let me look up the company for you first.............

Customer:

Thank you

Robin D. :

Texas says on this company

Texas Taxpayer Number32047899920
Robin D. :

There is your Texas number

Robin D. :

Here is the other info about you:

815 BRAZOS ST STE 500
AUSTIN, TXNNN-NN-NNNN/td>

Right to Transact Business in Texas
ACTIVE
State of FormationTX
Effective SOS Registration Date05/08/2012
Texas SOS File Number0801593724
Registered Agent NameINCORP SERVICES, INC.
Registered Office Street Address815 BRAZOS, SUITE 500
AUSTIN, TX 78701
Robin D. :

This is all public record and you can see it too if you go here

Robin D. :

Just put the company name in and then click on the name when it comes up.

Customer:

Thank you Robin. I guess this is all.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4