Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My ex wife is going to remarry she has asked that i agree to

continue to pay spousal maintenance...
My ex wife is going to remarry she has asked that i agree to continue to pay spousal maintenance for a few more months after she remarries. The divorce decree states that i don't have to pay after she remarries. If I agree to pay after the marriage can i still write of the payments on my taxes?
9/20/2013
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answers! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Unfortunately, the Internal Revenue Code allows alimony to be deductible only if it ends upon the death or remarriage of the former spouse. So if you continue to pay the alimony after she remarries, it is not deductible for you (and not income to her). It would be construed as a gift.

I hope this answers your question! If you have any more, please let me know. If you have found my answer helpful, please rate me highly! I would appreciate it!

Again, thanks! Have a great weekend (almost)!

taxmanrog
taxmanrog
taxmanrog