How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3294
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tax Law - I owe back taxes, I am filling out form 433A & 9465

This answer was rated:

Tax Law - I owe back taxes, I am filling out form 433A & 9465 for installment payments.

My question: if I make the request for installment payments and they accept does this extend the 10 year collection deadline?

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.


The ten-year collection period can end up lasting more than ten years because it can be suspended for one or more time periods, and the time during which the statute of limitations is suspended is not counted in the ten-year deadline. In the case of an installment agreement, the ten-year period is suspended while the IRS is considering your request for an installment agreement.

The ten-year period can also be extended if you voluntarily agree to do so.


Keep in mind, however, that if you enter into an installment agreement with the IRS allowing for partial payment of the amount due, you will probably have to sign a form waiving the ten-year limitations period, but this extension can be no more than six years.


If your limitations period approaches its end and you still owe the IRS substantial money, the IRS may offer you an installment agreement with attractive terms in order to get you to agree to extend the collection deadline, but be cautious about agreeing to any such extension. You would probably be better off refusing to extend the deadline and letting the IRS collect whatever it can before the limitation period runs out.


Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.


Thank you and best regards,


Barbara and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Just a short note to thank you for the "excellent" rating. It is most appreciated.


If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956 or Barb" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you. Recommendations to family, friends and colleagues are also most appreciated.


Thanks again and best regards,


Please let me know if you were able to view my answer to you and if you have any follow-up questions. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

Thank you and best regards,